Getting divorced is just as trying and complex when you’re in a same sex marriage as it is with partners of different genders. You’re going to need legal counsel for your divorce, and Jeff Anderson is here to help you through the entire process.


We represent individuals who are ending their same-sex relationship. If you are in such a situation, please do not hesitate to contact us for an initial consultation. While same sex marriages AND divorces are new to the state of Texas, divorce settlements involving property are not. We have decades of experience handling property divisions, property enforcements, and property disputes. Let our same sex divorce lawyers help you through this tough time, and get you the results you need in court.


Texas laws do not impact parent-child rights and duties. If you are part of a same-sex couple that has minor children, there are procedural rules governing who can seek a court-ordered relationship with the children. Within the law, we call this threshold requirement “standing” to file suit.

SAPCR- Aka Custody Suits

A biological or adoptive parent automatically has standing to file a suit affecting the parent-child relationship (SAPCR). A person who has had care, control and possession of a child for at least six months, ending not more than 90 days before suit is filed, has standing to file a SAPCR. One of these grounds for standing usually applies to persons in a same-sex relationship.

If you are in a same-sex relationship that is ending and you would like to know more about who has what rights and obligations relating to minor children, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

We stay informed, educated and up-to-date on the laws concerning same-sex marriage and same-sex divorce in Texas.